Even with my busy days, I always make my own mayonnaise. Homemade mayonnaise is really easy to make – despite what you hear. And it is just so delicious.
You can use this basic recipe with all kinds of cold vegetables, meats and fish, appetizers and main dishes alike. The mayonnaise is good for a whole week if you keep it in the fridge. Be mindful though, as it is an egg dish.
Make sure all of your utensils and ingredients are at room temperature. What I do, is that I get my egg yolk sitting out in the salted mustard in the bowl for 30 minutes before I start making the mayonnaise. If you do this, I can pretty much guarantee a wonderful firm mayonnaise.
When adding oil, only trickle it in the bowl. Don’t pour it or it would ruin your mayonnaise.
Use coarse grey sea salt for better taste.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon strong Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- about 1½ cup of oil (NOT olive oil)
- Electric egg beater
- Make sure the egg yolk, mustard, salt and pepper sit in the bowl you are going to use for 30 minutes, or until everything is at the same temperature.
- Mix together with the beater at medium speed. Add the oil slowly, a little at a time and keep on beating.
- Et voilà ! Keep refrigerated in a sealed jar.
Bon appétit !